“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
- John Lennon
Being truly happy is sometimes easier said than done. Here are our 10 quick tips that followed regularly can boost your happiness and outlook.
- Carry out a good deed every day. This can be anything from opening a door for someone to simply saying the words ‘please’ and ‘thank you!’
- Smile. Sometimes just making yourself physically smile can put you in a better frame of mind.
- PMA. Positive Mental Attitude. Try to not always focus on the negative, focus on what is good in your life. Always think, is everything as bad as it seems. Is a delayed train really the end of the world?
- Be thankful. On your way to work or while you are making a hot drink, take a few minutes out of your day to focus on three good things in your life and three things you are most thankful for.
- Do not underestimate praise. Not only will you make someone else happy but seeing their reaction can boost your own morale.
- How many people do you wish ‘Good Morning’ to on your way to work? Obviously in cities this can be tricky with hundreds of people walking towards you; however smiling and saying hello to just a few people every morning can give you a happiness boost.
- Be confident in yourself. Every morning pick one feature or aspect of your personality that you love.
- Do not compare yourself to other people. You are unique, focus on your own achievements and not other people’s.
- Write each good thing that happens to you on a piece of paper, fold it up and put it in a jar and reflect on the good memories whenever you feel you are being particularly negative.
- Be happy in your job and working environment. Working in a job that you love and an enjoyable working environment is beneficial to your outlook and will improve your happiness too.